Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Owen Harrison strikes to earn Cambridge South a draw with Norwich City III

More news, no ads


But it is a first defeat of the season for Cambridge Nomads

Owen Harrison rescued a point for Cambridge South as they drew 4-4 at Norwich City III in East Men’s League, Division 2N.

The hosts took the lead, but Ollie Lamming equalised for South on the counter-attack and Joel Harrison struck a penalty corner to give them the lead.

There was no end to the scoring as Norwich levelled and then Joel Harrison got his second only for the hosts to make it 3-3 by half time.

Norwich went in front, and keeper Darren Farmer had to make some important saves for South. But with time running out, man-of-the-match Owen Harrison volleyed in to earn South a draw.

However, the point meant they were unable to take advantage of Cambridge Nomads’ slip-up, as they suffered their first defeat of the season with a 3-2 reverse against Kettering.

A slow start saw them fall 2-0 behind, but they halved the arrears through Jack Franklin’s excellent finish.

Martin Hamon equalised in the second half with a penalty stroke, but Kettering scored a late winner.

In 4NW, South II produced a hard-fought 2-1 win over City of Peterborough VI.

South made a fast start, taking an early lead through Chris Walsh’s strike.

Peterborough equalised before half time, and it was not until five minutes from time that South got their winner.

Man-of-the-match Matt Puddefoot fired towards goal, and Jimmy Wood deflected in from close range.

Nomads II and South III shared the spoils in a 3-3 draw in 4NW.

Nomads took the lead after two minutes through Gianluca Benedetto and could have extended their advantage if it had not been for the form of South keeper George Toynton.

Joe Whittaker equalised for South from close range, only for Nomads to go back in front through Matthew Huchu.

South responded just before the interval, with Whittaker playing the ball across for Jonny Camp to convert with a full-length dive.

Camp got his second to give South the lead, but Nomads equalised within minutes through Huchu.

South IV’s match at St Ives III in 5NW was abandoned after a flash flood left the pitch unplayable. St Ives were leading 2-1 at the time.

The same storm struck South V’s game with Kettering IV, but after a hiatus they were able to finish the match, losing 3-2 despite goals from Tom Steed and Rob Barton.

Rob Furlong is moving away from the area and marked his final game after 31 years with Nomads by scoring for the thirds in a 15-0 win over Wisbech Town 15-0 in 6NW (S).

Will Dyer and Pete Jarvis got four apiece, George Godfrey scored a hat-trick and Luke Davies and Garth Hanlon got one each.

Redvers Wilbur and Eddie Harper were on target for Cambridge City, but they lost 8-2 to Old Georgians in the Men’s Hockey League, Conference East.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More