Home   Sport   Article

Profiligate Cambridge City made to pay by Richmond

By CambridgeIndependent Reporter

Womens hockey
Womens hockey

Disappointment for City

Warren D’Souza rued Cambridge City’s performance as they were beaten 2-0 at Richmond in the Men’s Hockey League, Conference East.

City made a bright start to the game with plenty of possession, but they were unable to create many clear-cut chances and could not convert their penalty corners.

And when they hit the crossbar, Richmond countered with pace to score the opening goal with a tap in at the back post.

City dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half, with the majority of possession and plenty of chances created, but they could not score, which included having a penalty stroke saved.

But Richmond broke to away again to earn a penalty corner, which they scored to complete the win.

“A desperately disappointing game,” said City captain D’Souza. “We created a lot of chances but just lacked the quality to score on the day. The Richmond goalkeeper was certainly man of the match.

“Chris White made his debut for us and played really well. He was industrious and creative in the final third.”

Henry Rudd and Kieran Gilmore were among the scorers for Cambridge University as they were beaten 5-3 at Saffron Walden in the East Men’s Hockey League, Premier A.

The university second team, the Wanderers, earned a 5-2 victory Old Southendian in Premier B.

Ciaran Flaherty scored twice and Ed Sides and Hugo Parry were also among the goals for the university.

And the university’s third team were also triumphant.

They faced Cambridge South in Division Two, in what was a closely-fought encounter.

South were missing a number of players through injury, but had good performances from the hard-working Chris Pearson and the obdurate Paresh Parsot.

But the university took their chances to earn a 2-0 win, with Joe Allen among the scorers.

Harry Chalk was named man of the match as several well-worked goals steered Cambridge South II to a 5-3 victory over St Neots II in 4NW in a match where the lead changed hands several times.

Dave Monck scored a consolation goal as Cambridge South III lost their 100 per cent record in 5NW as a scrappy performance led to a 4-1 defeat to St Neots III.

There was a narrow defeat for Cambridge South IV in 6NW (S).

They had the greater number of chances in their first match of the season, but despite captain John Greaves’ late strike, they lost 2-1 to St Ives IV.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More