Home   Sport   Article

Shelford record landmark match with victory over Amersham

By Mark Taylormark.taylor@iliffemedia.co.uk

Shelford Rugby Club first team in their final match on a grass pitch at the Davey Field.
Shelford Rugby Club first team in their final match on a grass pitch at the Davey Field.

Last game on the grass at Davey Field

Hat-tricks from Tuli Paea and Mark Ryder helped Shelford to a 69-19 win over Amersham in National League Three, London & SE.

They are in fine form, and in the last first-team game on a grass pitch at the Davey Field, before a 4G surface is laid for next season, they put more than 60 points on Amersham for the second time this campaign.

It was a one-sided affair, but Amersham never gave in and actually opened the scoring with a fine individual try that was also converted.

But Shelford soon took control, and Simon Hrbek, Paea and Ryder all touched down, with Jamie Beswick’s try sealing the bonus point before half time.

Shelford continued were they let off after the break, scoring a further seven tries, with Paea and Ryder both completing their hat-tricks.

Cantabrigian will head into their final match of the season needing one point to secure third place in London League 2NE after a 24-24 draw with Romford & Gidea Park.

Poor tackling allowed Romford to open the scoring with a converted try after 10 minutes, but Cantabs were soon back on level terms when James Hayward chipped the defence and then passed to David Bloxsum to race away and touch down.

Romford replied immediately and converted to make it 14-7.

Two scrums were then won by Cantabs against the head, and from a third, play was moved left for Bloxsum to run in unopposed.

And another win at the scrum resulted in Jamie Williams touching down, with Hayward’s conversion making it 19-14 at half time.

Cantabs got the first try of the second period when play was moved left for Bloxsum to go past three defenders to complete his hat-trick and earn Cantabs the bonus point and a 24-14 lead.

Romford hit back with an unconverted try, and then late in the game, a fumble from Cantabs at the back of the scrum allowed the visitors’ flanker to pounce for a try to make it 24-24 and that was how the game finished.

Cantabs are four points clear of Romford, with one game remaining so just need a point against Old Cooperians to seal third place.

Cambridge were defeated 31-26 at Hull Ionians in National League One.

Tries from James Ayrton and Jake McCloud, both converted by Jack Green, gave Cambridge the lead but Hull hit back with a score from James Sanderson.

Stefan Liebenberg then looped a pass wide for Ayrton to score in the corner, and it was 19-5 at half time.

Isaac Green got the first try of the second half for Hull, and a score from winger Sam Wilson gave Ionaians the lead for the first time.

Green then put in Portsmouth to touch down for Cambridge, and the conversion made it 26-21.

But Ally Forth scored for Hull, with the extras making it 28-26, and a drop goal from Callum Irvine sealed the hosts a 31-26 victory.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More