Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Shelford Women complete title-winning promotion campaign

More news, no ads


Shelford Women after beating Wymondham Wasps to be crowned NC1 East champions. Picture: Abbie Macmillan-Jones (55875240)
Shelford Women after beating Wymondham Wasps to be crowned NC1 East champions. Picture: Abbie Macmillan-Jones (55875240)

Shelford Women gained revenge for their only defeat of the season in style by winning 34-0 against Wymondham Wasps to wrap up a title-winning promotion campaign in Women’s NC1 East.

In their final home game of the campaign, Shelford were eager to make amends for a 21-12 defeat in their first game of the season.

It was another physically demanding match up front, but they showed how much they have improved.

After some early pressure from the visitors, full-back Katie Segrave prevented a breakaway runner from scoring, and it was a try from scrum-half Millie Rose that gave Shelford a 5-0 lead at half time.

In the second half, Shelford gained some momentum as the Wasps’ pack started to tire and the forwards began to punch holes in the defence with Charlotte Gisbourne touching down, and Segrave converting.

Jess Norris’ kick was collected by Lauren Poppitt to get the next try on the hour.

After Wymondham had a player sin-binned, Poppitt ran through a gap in the defence to touch down, with Norris adding the extras.

Poppitt finished her treble after collecting another kick on the wing.

The scoring was completed when Leanne Robinson made a 20-metre break and had Lesley Sonnen in support to touch down.

Georgie Harris was named players’ player of the match, Norris was coaches’ player and Robinson collected the presidents’ accolade.

It means the women join the men in claiming promotion and now the latter will be looking to add the title as well.

Shelford moved to within one win of the London League 1N crown after beating Amersham & Chiltern 29-20 on Saturday.

It was a great start for Shelford as Tom James’ kick through saw Jack Biard race in to touch down after four minutes.

But Amersham & Chiltern replied with a converted try from a rolling maul and took the lead through a penalty.

However, Ben Bates picked up from the base of a scrum to power over to make it 12-10 to Shelford at half time.

The visitors went back in front from another penalty at the start of the second half, but the sides traded kicks as Lewis Cracknell put the hosts 15-13 ahead.

With an Amersham & Chiltern player in the bin, Shelford drove over for their third try, which Cracknell converted to make it 22-13.

They got their bonus point in the 76th minute as Charlie Baker took a pass from the back of a scrum to touch down, and Cracknell converted.

Amersham & Chiltern got a late penalty try consolation.

Shelford are due to be at home to Leighton Buzzard this Saturday (April 9).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More