British Kebab Awards 2021: Diamond Kebab in Cambridge wins Kebab Van of the Year
Diamond Kebab of Arbury Road, Cambridge has won the Kebab Van of the Year award 2021 at the British Kebab Awards, which took place in Westminster Plaza in London on Tuesday, October 26 at the Park Plaza, Westminster Bridge Hotel.
Attended by restaurant industry heavyweights, as well as celebrities and political figures - judges included Nadhim Zahawi MP - the evening celebrated the UK’s top kebab eatery talent. The awards are run in association with Just Eat and are supported by the Kebab Alliance, the sector’s trade body. They are in their ninth year and this year have attracted a record-breaking numbers of entries.
As well as Diamond Kebab, three other Cambridgeshire outlets were also nominated for awards, Burwell Kebab Van and Gourmet Kebab, Caxton made it on to the Kebab Van of the Year shortlist, while Mediterranean BBQ, of East Road in Cambridge, was shortlisted in the Best Kebab Restaurant - Regional category.
A raffle and silent auction also took place on the night in aid of charity partner UK for UNHCR, raising a total money for The UN Refugee Agency’s UK arm. These funds will help deliver humanitarian relief to displaced families across the globe.
Ibrahim Dogus, founder of the British Kebab Awards and director of the Kebab Alliance, said: "Following a very difficult 18 months for all those in the hospitality sector, it gave me great joy to see a full house of friends new and old, celebrating each other’s hard work and successes.
“I would like to congratulate all the winners, as well as all those that made it onto the shortlist. This year we were inundated with entries and the standard was unbelievable across the board. Thank you to everyone involved.”
The winners were all presented with their awards by BBC Radio 1 DJ and presenter duo Scott Mills and Chris Stark:
The winners in full
• Best Kebab House in Northern Ireland: Grab a Kebab
• Best Kebab House in Scotland: Dante’s Fish Chips and Kebab
• Best Kebab House in Wales: Wales Kebab
• Best Kebab Restaurant in North & West London: Antalya Restaurant
• Best Kebab Restaurant in South & East London: The Ottoman Doner, Duman Doner
• Best Kebab Restaurant Regional: Zeytin Restaurant, Pasha Turkish Gill Restaurant, Batman Grill
• Best Newcomer Restaurant in London/Outside London: Etci Kitchen in Brighton, Mehmet’s Kitchen, La’de Kitchen
• Best Takeaway in London: Pizza King Kebab House, Kervan Saray
• Best Takeaway Regional: Botan Kebab House, Master Kebab
• Best Value Restaurant: EV Restaurant
• Customer Satisfaction: Bursa Kebab, Alaturka Doner, Mount Nemrut Turkish Restaurant
• Fine Dining Restaurant: The Mantl, Roza
• Kebab Van of the Year: Diamond Kebab
• Just Eat Best Delivery: Dilan Kebab, BBQ Grill Chatham
• Best Greek Restaurant: Meze Greek Restaurant, Tonys Pita
• Best Lebanese Restaurant: Cedrus Lebanese Cuisine
• Supplier of the Year: Kismet Kebabs
• Chef of the Year: Ali Akis, Yaz Restaurant
For more information on the awards, go to britishkebabawards.co.uk. For more on Diamond Kebab, go to facebook.com/pages/Diamond-Kebab-Van/105010562910941.